Fifty years after Allan Moffat set Australian touring car racing alight with his Trans Am Boss 302 Mustang, Tickford have created a package paying tribute to that iconic car and driver – the Tickford Trans-Am Mustang.
Launched at Sandown Raceway in August – the same track where Moffat debuted his original Trans Am Mustang 50 years ago - the Tickford project takes a customer-supplied Mustang GT and adds an ECU upgrade, suspension upgrade, brake upgrade, purpose-built alloy wheels, high performance tyres, exterior cosmetic parts and graphics replicating Moffat’s racing Mustang and customised interior touches.
“The Tickford Trans-Am represents not only our tribute to an iconic Mustang, but also our commitment in developing new and exciting engineering-led projects,” said Tickford CEO, Rod Nash.
“Building on the success of recent projects, such as the Bathurst ‘77 Special, the Trans-Am has been a close collaboration with Allan Moffat, using resources from Tickford Racing to deliver a truly remarkable Mustang.”
Moffat himself is impressed with the Trans-Am project, too: “The Tickford Trans-Am is probably the most exciting car project I have ever been part of.
“It has made an old racer like me feel proud of my racing history and what I have been involved with. My original ‘69 Trans-Am Mustang was an incredible race car and I have so many great memories of the battles I won on track.
“I think Tickford have done a tremendous job in designing a new interpretation of the original with some of the Coca-Cola car features I loved, including those wheels. I just wish I could race it!” Moffat enthused.
Trans Am History – Here and There
The original Trans Am Boss 302 Mustangs were created in 1968 to race in the Sports Car Club of America’s “Trans-American” racing series in the US and Canada. Open to production cars with selected modifications, including an engine capacity limit of 5.0 litres, Trans Am essentially became a pony car series, with Mustangs up against Camaros, Javelins, Cougars, Challengers and Barracudas.
Making their debut in the 1969 Trans Am season, the Boss 302 Mustangs lost out to a Roger Penske-prepared Chevy Camaro that year, but would triumph in 1970.
While roadgoing versions of the Boss 302 were produced by Ford to homologate the 302 engine for racing, only seven actual race-spec Trans Am cars were made for the ’69 season – built by Kar Kraft (Ford’s contractor for special projects) and engineered by successful NASCAR team Bud Moore Racing. Of that seven, Allan Moffat’s relationship with Ford meant he managed to get hold of one of them.
In Moffat’s hands, the Trans Am Mustang (also known as the Coca-Cola Mustang for its sponsor signage) had an enviable race record of 101 wins from 151 starts across four seasons. However, Moffat never secured the Australian Touring Car Championship in the car: his best finish being a second outright in 1971.
The original Moffat Trans Am Mustang is now part of the Bowden Collection in Queensland.
The Tickford Trans-Am Mustang will be offered in two versions: Performance Edition; and Performance Plus Edition.
Common to both is ECU remapping that upgrades the standard Mustang GT’s 359kW and 556Nm to 400kW and 640Nm, plus a suspension upgrade, grille-mounted driving lights, bespoke 20-inch alloy wheels in the style of those of the ’69 car, decals and other cosmetic exterior touches, as well as a customised interior. The Performance Plus Edition adds a Wilwood brake upgrade and an invitation to selected ‘Allan Moffat Experience’ events.
These events were planned to involve the four-time Bathurst winner himself, but a recent Alzheimer’s Disease diagnosis for Moffat and his move into an aged care facility means such involvement may now be unlikely.
To get the Trans-Am package, customers must supply Tickford with an MY18, MY19 or MY20 Mustang GT coupe in Race Red (no EcoBoost fours, no convertibles and no other colours), but the package is compatible with both auto and manual transmission versions of the Mustang GT.
Total production will be limited to 100 individually-numbered vehicles. Numbers 1 and 100 are already allocated, with customers able to choose the remaining numbers on a first-come, first-served basis (presumably build #9 was one of the first to go).
Production will get underway in October and continue until the allocation is exhausted.
Pricing is $32,995 incl. GST for the Performance Edition and $52,995 for the Performance Plus Edition (including a 3-year 100,000km driveline warranty, excluding the donor car).
Customers can register their interest online at tickford.com.au/trans-am or call 1800 842 536.
Trans-Am Mustang – Performance Edition
- Tickford 400kW / 620Nm ECU upgrade (manual), 376kw / 620Nm upgrade (auto)
- Optional Roush supercharger with 710hp (529kW)
Handling and Suspension
- Tickford-engineered coilovers and dampers by H&R - 25mm lower
- Eibach lowering springs (cars fitted with magneride suspension only)
- Tickford-engineered engine strut brace, personally autographed by Allan Moffat
- Steeda Ultralite G-Trac rear braces
- Purpose-built 20-inch alloy wheels in the style of 8-spoke Minilites (20 x 9.5 front, 20 x 11 rear) with Tickford centre caps
- Ultra-high-performance Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres (275/35R20 front, 295/35R20 rear)
- High-performance Bendix slotted rotors and uprated ceramic pads
- Full OEM-spec nappa leather trim inspired by the 1969 Boss 302 Mustang, with Tickford Trans-Am logo in the front seat uprights
- Alcantara/leather accented centre console lid
- Red / black leather custom door panels
- Enhanced steering wheel (2/3 thicker) with red / black leather trim and straight-ahead marker
- Retro-inspired gear knob (manual)
- Tickford Trans-Am build number dash badge
- Tickford Trans-Am carpet mats
- Revised grille with dual driving lights
- Black galloping pony grille badge
- Hydraulic bonnet struts
- Retro-inspired black rear spoiler
- Black mirror caps
- Gold tail light panel trim
- Modern interpretation of 1969 Trans-Am race numbers and sponsor livery
- Blank deck lid panel
Warranty and compliancy
- Limited 3-year 100,000km powertrain warranty.
Trans-Am Mustang – Performance Plus Edition
All the Performance Edition specification, plus:
- Wilwood high-performance rotors and calipers (15-inch front rotors with 6-piston calipers and high-performance brake pads, 14-inch slotted rear rotors with 4-piston callipers and separate parking brake)
Allan Moffat Experience
- Access to unique Allan Moffat experiences (dependent upon customer’s location)
- Only available on MY18 and newer Mustang GT coupes in Race Red (auto or manual)