White's Lamborghini caught fire on the final kilometre of the stage up to the top of the ski resort. Luckily the finish was basically outside the Mt Buller fire station where they had fire extinguishers at the ready to avoid any more damage to the $600,000 Lamborghini.
Quinn finished the 18 kilometre Mt Buller stage in 9 minutes 44 seconds. White followed up crossing the line with a time of 9 minutes 30 seconds, handing him a 10-second the overall victory and top points in the series opener.
Matt Sims finished third in his Nissan GTR, with Matt Close fourth in his Audi TT RS.
Australian Rally Champion, Simon Evans, showed he has what it takes on tarmac taking the win in Showroom class with his Mazda3 MPS.
The TMR Performance Showroom 4WD class win went to Ric Shaw in a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, winning by just one second over Dean Evans. Evans was leading from the start of Saturday only to get piped on the final stage, after he suffered a puncture.
Donn Todd took the win in Classic's in his 1971 Ford Capri Perana, finishing 2 minutes 49 seconds clear of Jon Siddins in his 1970 Datsun 240Z.
Even though Jon Siddins didn't get the Classic honours he managed the victory in the Shannons Early Classic Handicap competition. Bruce Power won the late Classic battle in his Mazda RX7 and Matthew Turnbull dominated the Early Modern competition in his Porsche 911 GT3.
The series continues in January, with the running of round 3, Targa Wrest Point in Hobart.
Australian Targa Championship - Targa High Country (Provisional)
1. Jason White / John White, Lamborghini Gallardo
2. Tony Quinn / Naomi Tillett, Nissan GT-R, +10s
3. Matt Sims / Denis Sims, Nissan GT-R, +1m16s
4. Matt Close / Casey Close, Audi TT RS, +1m32s
5. Greg Garwood / John Allen, Porsche 911 GT2 CS, +2m29s
6. Jim Richards / Barry Oliver, Porsche 911 GT2 RS, +3m24s
1. Donn Todd / Dean Tighe, 1971 Ford Capri Perana
2. Jon Siddins / Darren Ferguson, 1970 Datsun 240Z, +2m49s
3. Tolley Challis / Greg Flood, 1974 Porsche 911 RS, +3m09s
4. Bernie Wilson / John Wilson, 1971 Ford Capri Perana, +4m57s
5. Craig Haysman / Neil Branum, 1981 Triumph TR7 V8, +5m16s
1. Matthew Turnbull / Andrew Hobson, 2000 Porsche GT3 CS
2. Tim Hendy / Joanne Sibley, 1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R, +3m00s
3. Steve Spada / Jessica Nicholson, 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI, +3m01s
4. Samantha Stevens / Claire Ryan, 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI, +3m13s
5. Adam Kaplan / David Kaplan, 1988 Holden Commodore HSV SS, +3m24s
1. Simon Evans / Sue Evans, Mazda3 MPS
2. Kym De Britt / David Percy, Holden Astra, +3m07s
3. Adam Spence / Tracey Button, BMW 130i, +3m53s
4. Adam Dodd / Lee Challoner-Miles, Mazda MX5, +5m44s
5. Andrew Mckay / Alex Hailstone, Mazda MX5, +6m06s
1. Ric Shaw / James Parish, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X
2. Dean Evans / Simone Bachmann, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, +1s
3. Scott Millar / Christopher Dean, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, +2m08s
4. Ben Newman / Crichton Lewis, Subaru WRX STI, +4m28s
5. Peter Wrench / Liam Dunn, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X, +5m34s
1. Bruce Power / Greg Hannay, 1979 Mazda RX7
2. Paul Stuart / Mike Herrod, 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS, +1s
3. Greg Cook / Jenny Cole, 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS, +1m33s
4. John Ireland / Michael Ribot, 1977 Porsche 911 Carrera S, +2m02s
5. Greg Hutley / Craig Laird, 1972 Datsun 240Z, +2m28s
1. Jon Siddins / Darren Ferguson, 1970 Datsun 240Z
2. Donn Todd / Dean Tighe, 1971 Ford Capri Perana, +1m37s
3. Robin Lowe / Peter Lowe, 1971 Datsun 240Z, +2m50s
4. Colin Byrne / Paul Stoopman, 1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000, +2m53s
5. Scott Kent / Wayne Kent, 1965 Ford Mustang, +2m59s
Videos of white can be viewed below